The Ministry of Transport (MoT) is responsible for the management, planning and policy of the country’s transport system, except for highways, which are the responsibility of the Ministry of Construction and Housing (MoCH). There are thirteen State Owned Enterprises (SOE’s) which manage the domestic and international transportation of passengers, goods, and cargo. These include:
- Iraqi Civil Aviation Authority.
- General Company of Iraqi Ports.
- General Company of Iraqi Railways.
Priority projects for the State Commission for Roads and Bridges include the following:
- Improving the facilities at the main airports, especially Baghdad and Basrah.
- Building a new deepwater port at El Faw.
- Rebuilding Iraq’s railway network.
- Upgrading Iraq’s roads.
The MoCH is responsible for policy oversight and planning for major aspects of the Iraqi construction and housing system, including roads and bridges external to municipalities, housing and public buildings. The MoCH also runs fifteen SOEs and works in conjunction with the MoT when applicable.